Businesses urged to check what grant support they are eligible for
8 January 2021
Businesses in South Lakeland affected by November's national lockdown, the current lockdown and previous Tier 2 and Tier 4 restrictions may be eligible for a number of grants to support them.
Full details of the support available to businesses required to close or negatively impacted and how to apply is available at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/business-and-trade/business-support-grants-coronavirus-covid-19/.
Businesses should ensure they have applied for the November National Lockdown Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) if eligible as we will use this information to make application processes more efficient for future schemes where possible.
We are currently administering the following schemes:
National Lockdown (5 November to 1 December):
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum, for businesses legally forced to close during national lockdown. Grant Application Status: Applications are OPEN.
Tier 2 Restrictions (2 December to 30 December):
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Open), for businesses that were able to open and trade during Tier 2 restrictions but that were negatively affected by Tier 2 local restrictions (for example, the rule of 6 or limit on number of households mixing). Status: Applications are OPEN.
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed), largely for pubs who were unable to reopen due to not serving food (substantial meals). Status: Payments will be made automatically for these businesses.
- Christmas Support Payment, for wet-led pubs where sales are largely derived from drink sales (over 50 per cent). Status: Applications are OPEN.
Tier 4 Restrictions (currently 31 December to 4 January):
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum Tier 4, for businesses legally forced to close due to Tier 4 restrictions. Status: Application will be part of the current National Lockdown application when available.
National Lockdown (5 January 2021 onwards, until at least February half term):
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed): Status: Application is in development
- Closed Business Lockdown Payment: one-off grants of £4,000, £6,000 and £9,000 will be available for closed retail, hospitality and leisure businesses based on your properties rateable value. Status: Application is in development
- Additional Restrictions Grant: this discretionary scheme will relaunch in line with the national lockdown, for businesses not eligible for the above lockdown schemes. Status: Application in development
Councillor Robin Ashcroft, Portfolio Holder for Economy, Culture and Leisure, said: "Setting up processes for administering and delivering these different grants is a challenge, but a challenge we are rapidly overcoming to ensure businesses in South Lakeland affected by the recent restrictions and lockdowns get the support they need and deserve as quickly as possible."
Details about business support and advice is available on the SLDC website at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/business-and-trade/
South Lakeland District Council funding supports Cumbria Chamber of Commerce's Growth Hub and Business Start-up Support (BSUS), which deliver expert support and advice available to them locally.