Business grant scheme for lockdown closures goes live
16 November 2020
Businesses required to close due to the second national Coronavirus lockdown can now apply to South Lakeland District Council (SLDC) to access government support.
The application process for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed Businesses) went live this morning.
Business required to close in England due to the national restrictions will be eligible for:
- for properties with a rateable value of £15k or under, grants to be £1,334 per month, or £667 per two weeks
- for properties with a rateable value of between £15k to £51k grants to be £2,000 per month, or £1,000 per two weeks
- for properties with a rateable value of £51k or over grants to be £3,000 per month, or £1,500 per two weeks
Business that received a small business or retail, hospitality and leisure grant earlier in the year may not need to reapply, as we are trying to automate as many payments as possible. These businesses will be emailed from Monday with a link to a pre-populated application form.
Businesses which do not receive this email by Tuesday November 17 will need to apply using the full application form at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/business-and-trade/business-support-coronavirus-covid-19
Councillor Robin Ashcroft, SLDC portfolio holder for Economy, Culture and Leisure, said: “We realise this is a worrying time for business and have been doing everything we can to set up this scheme as quickly as possible.
"Our success administering the government's Small Business Grant, Retail, Leisure and Hospitality and Discretionary Grants funds earlier in the year has stood us in good stead to distribute this money as swiftly as humanly possible.
"We are proud of the many and varied businesses operating in South Lakeland and are committed, as always, to doing whatever we can to help them."
Alongside these grants, local authorities have also been given money to run a one-off discretionary grant scheme for businesses that are severely impacted by the current lockdown restrictions but are not legally forced to close. Details about these Additional Restrictions Grants and the application process should be finalised next week.
More details on this scheme and other support available – including business rate relief, free business support and advice available to businesses in South Lakeland – can be found at
To qualify for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed Businesses), businesses must have been:
- open as usual before the November lockdown restrictions;
- providing services in person to customers from the premises;
- required to close due to restrictions imposed by Government;
- registered for or paying business rates for the premises before restrictions commenced.