Viewing a property checklist
Running through this checklist will give you a reasonably thorough survey of any house you are thinking of renting:
Heating and cooking:
- is the heating in the house adequate (imagine whether it will be adequate in the middle of winter)?
- do the electric/gas fires work?
- does the cooker work?
- if the cooker is a gas cooker, does the thermostat work?
- have you had your gas and electricity meters read immediately after you have taken responsibility for the property?
- have you asked to see a copy of the annual Gas Safe safety certificate for the gas appliances?
- does the plumbing work?
- have you tried all the taps?
- do the sinks drain?
- does the toilet flush or leak?
- is there any hot water and how do you pay for it?
- is the house secure?
- has the house got enough furniture for the occupants?
- is there sufficient space in the kitchen to store food stuffs and prepare food?
- is any of the existing furniture the property of existing tenants?
- is all the furniture in good condition?
- is the furniture fire retardant?
- what services is the owner providing for you, if any? Window cleaning, gardening, lighting of common parts, dustbin and refuse disposal?
- what are you paying for in your rent?
- how does it compare to other rents?
- have you paid a deposit? If so what is it for?
- have you got a receipt for what you have paid?
- are you or the owner responsible for water charges?
- how much will heating the house cost?
- do you know what your contract means?
- have you talked to the previous occupants of the house and asked them if they have any comments that would help you?
- have you been given a copy of the contract you have signed?
- are you jointly liable with the other tenants?
- do you know your owner’s name and address?
- does the roof look sound? (you can check for damp from the inside of the house too).
- have the gutters got plants growing out of them?
- are the drains clear?
- is any of the woodwork rotting or unsafe?
- was the house clean? if not, have you informed the owner, in writing, what the condition was?
- are there any signs of pests (mouse droppings, slug trails, fleas) in the house?
- in the event of fire in the main access passageways of the house, could you get out of the house?
- are mains wired smoke detectors and fire alarms fitted?
- does the house have any fire doors?
- do any repairs need doing? if so, have you informed the owner, in writing, what needs doing?
- does any decorating need doing?