Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DiGS)
Are you looking for privately rented accommodation but can't afford a deposit or rent in advance?
Then the Deposit Guarantee Scheme South Lakeland (DiGS) may be able to help you.
What is DiGS?
The Accommodation Deposit Guarantee scheme (DiGS) has been set up to help people in need move into secure privately rented accommodation.
DiGS can provide a deposit guarantee in the form of a written bond to cover the deposit required by a landlord for damage or theft. Rent in advance can be provided where applicable.
DiGS is a charity funded by various statutory and voluntary agencies and is managed by the Citizens Advice Bureau. It provides help with tenancies in the South Lakeland area.
What does the Guarantee cover?
- a maximum amount equivalent to one month's rent
- uninsured damage to the property caused by the tenant
- theft of uninsured items by the tenant
What help can I get with rent in advance?
- up to one month's rent
- the rent in advance payment must be paid back by the tenant after 6 months
Who is Eligible?
You may qualify if you:
- are aged 16 or over
- have a local connection with the South Lakeland area
- are in receipt of state benefit or on a low income
Please note preference is given to single people when resources are limited.
How is a claim made?
During the tenancy the landlord should notify DiGS of any damage or theft, caused by the tenant, within three working days of becoming aware of it. Any theft or criminal damage must be reported to the Police and the crime reference number recorded.
Calling all landlords
We would like to hear from landlords who are interested in using DiGS. If you are a private landlord and would like to find out more, please contact: Graham Bell, Deposit Guarantee Scheme Co-ordinator, (01946 694166)
Where to go for help and advice
Citizens Advice Bureaux
- Blackhall Road, Kendal, 01539 720112
- Town Hall Annex, Theatre St. Ulverston, 01229 585585
- Ellerthwaite Road, Windermere, 015394 46464
- Council Offices, Main Street, Grange over Sands 015395 33100
- Institute House, Yewdale Road, Coniston, 015394 41052
- 72 Main Street, Sedbergh, 01539 734820
- 124 Highgate, Kendal, 01539 730045
The Manna House
- Castle Lodge, Aynam Road, Kendal, 01539 725534
South Lakes Housing
- Little Aynam House, Little Aynam, Kendal, 01539 717717
South Lakeland District Council
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, 01539 733333