Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DiGS)
What is DiGS?
The Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DiGS) has been set up to help people in need move into secure privately rented accommodation.
DiGS can provide a deposit guarantee in the form of a written bond to cover the deposit required by a landlord for damage or theft.
DiGS is a charity funded by various statutory and voluntary agencies. It provides help with tenancies in the South Lakeland area.
What does the guarantee cover?
- a maximum amount equivalent to one month's rent
- uninsured damage to the property caused by the tenant
- theft of uninsured items by the tenant
Who is eligible?
You may qualify if you:
- are aged 16 or over
- have a local connection with the South Lakeland area
- are in receipt of state benefit or on a low income
Please note preference is given to single people when resources are limited.
How is a claim made?
During the tenancy the landlord should notify DiGS of any damage or theft, caused by the tenant, within three working days of becoming aware of it. Any theft or criminal damage must be reported to the Police and the crime reference number recorded.
Calling all landlords
We would like to hear from landlords who are interested in using DiGS. If you are a private landlord and would like to find out more, please contact: Graham Bell, Deposit Guarantee Scheme Co-ordinator, (01946 694 166)
Where to go for help and advice
Citizens Advice Bureaux
- Blackhall Road, Kendal, 01539 720 112
- Town Hall Annex, Theatre St. Ulverston, 01229 585 585
- Ellerthwaite Road, Windermere, 015394 46464
- Council Offices, Main Street, Grange over Sands, 015395 33100
- Institute House, Yewdale Road, Coniston, 015394 41052
- 72 Main Street, Sedbergh, 01539 734 820
- 124 Highgate, Kendal, 01539 730 045
The Manna House
- Castle Lodge, Aynam Road, Kendal, 01539 725 534
South Lakes Housing
- Little Aynam House, Little Aynam, Kendal, 01539 717 717
South Lakeland District Council
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, 01539 733 333