Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Sheltered and supported housing

There are a number of supported housing schemes which provide support so that residents can eventually move to their own home.

There are schemes for people with:

  • learning disabilities
  • physical disabilities
  • mental health problems
  • issues with domestic violence
  • problems with homelessness

Referrals can be made through Cumbria County Council's Central Access Point.

Housing related support can help with:

  • becoming more independent
  • applying for benefits, budgeting and managing debt
  • finding somewhere to live and setting up home
  • access to other support or community services
  • support to access work or training
  • dealing with other professionals, family and neighbours and access to advice and guidance
  • support to maintain health and well being
  • security of the home and personal safety

Sheltered and extra care housing

South Lakes Housing is one of the main providers of sheltered housing schemes for rent for older and disabled people.

There are schemes in:

  • Ulverston
  • Windermere
  • Ambleside
  • Sedbergh
  • Kendal
  • Kirkby Lonsdale
  • Grange over Sands

Vacancies are advertised on Cumbria Choice.

You need to register and make bids on vacancies. 

Extra care housing

Extra care housing schemes for older people provide an on site care team along with a scheme manager.

Care is provided to residents who need it depending on their needs.

Schemes for rent are located in Kendal and Ambleside managed by Impact Housing Association.

Impact also has a shared equity scheme in Kendal.

South Lakes Housing has a scheme at Windermere that includes dementia friendly elements.