Energy Savings Improvements
Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
ECO is the government's scheme to help householders on low incomes meet the upfront costs of making energy saving improvements to their properties, such as; central heating, cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation.
The Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2018 (ECO3) allows us to broaden the criteria for eligibility for funding of domestic energy efficiency measures. This funding is aimed at those households most likely to be in fuel poverty. We are required to publish a 'Statement of Intent' which defines who is eligible for funding before this can happen.
You may be eligible for assistance under the ECO3 programme if someone in your household is in receipt of:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Attendance Allowance
- Zero income cap on working tax credits
- Child Benefit (proof of receipt of benefit required; self-certifying income thresholds apply)
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Universal Credit
- a total gross household income not exceeding £26,000 per annum
- a member of your household has a health condition making them susceptible to cold weather and your total gross household income does not exceed £32,000 per annum
We intend to implement the flexible eligibility associated with these obligations and will work with energy companies and their authorised installers to maximise the input of flexible eligibility for fuel poor households. If you 'fit' the criteria, it does not guarantee that you will benefit from energy saving improvements as the final decision on funding rests with the energy supply. This will depend on:
- the survey carried out by the energy company or their authorised installer and their calculated installation costs. Please note funding is not provided by us
- the energy savings that can be achieved for a property
- whether energy suppliers have achieved their ECO targets or require further measures to meet their ECO targets (this will affect the amount of funding available through the scheme)