Energy Savings Improvements
Last Updated: 18 May 2023
Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme which helps householders on low incomes meet the upfront costs of making energy saving improvements to their properties. This includes central heating, cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation.
The Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2022 (ECO4) allows us to broaden the criteria for eligibility for funding of domestic energy efficiency measures. This funding is aimed at those households most likely to be in fuel poverty. We have to publish a 'Statement of Intent' which defines who is eligible for funding before this can happen.
You may be eligible for assistance under the ECO4 programme if:
- you have a low household income and your property has an EPC rated below a D
- you have a low income and are vulnerable to cold
For the full eligibility criteria for ECO4 Flex please refer to the Statement of Intent (PDF 417KB / 4 pages).
We will work with energy companies and their authorised installers to maximise the input of flexible eligibility to reduce home heating costs for low-income, fuel poor and vulnerable people. If you 'fit' the criteria, it does not guarantee that you will benefit from energy saving improvements as the final decision on funding rests with the energy supply. This will depend on:
- the survey carried out by the energy company or their authorised installer and their calculated installation costs. Please note funding is not provided by us
- the energy savings that can be achieved for a property
- whether energy suppliers have achieved their ECO targets or require further measures to meet their ECO targets (this will affect the amount of funding available through the scheme)