Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Under 18?

16/17 Year Old

If a young person makes themselves known to an organisation other than to Children's Services and it appears that they are homeless that day, then the organisation to which they have presented will have an initial dialogue with them. If there are no safeguarding issues, the organisation will contact the young person's parents/guardians and mediate to encourage them to remain in the family home. If this is unsuccessful, a single referral will be made to Children's Services to carry out an assessment.

If a young person is homeless that night and cannot stay with the wider family or friends, the organisation will make a referral to 'Nightstop' (Cumbria County Council commissioned service) or contact us for placement in our hostel. We will then contact the Children's Services Emergency Duty Team at Cumbria County Council to carry out an assessment.

Under 16

Technically you are not allowed to leave home before you are 16, but if living at home is unbearable you can get help. Children's Service has a duty to help you, so give them a call. You should also contact Childline for some moral support; the number is in the Directory.

Leaving care

If you are leaving care your social worker will be able to work out a pathways plan which will tell you what support you are going to get.