Backdate a Housing Benefit claim

Last Updated: 17 May 2023

If there has been a reason which stopped or delayed you from applying for Housing Benefit you can ask for your claim to be backdated so it starts from an earlier date.

You can only ask for a backdate of benefits if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit earlier. If you disagree with the date your claim starts from you can appeal against the decision.

Normally we will start your claim from the Monday after we receive your application, so it is important you get your form to us a soon as possible as it affects the date your benefit claim will start from.

We will allow you a calendar month from the date of issue to complete and return an application form. If you take longer, you might lose your entitlement to some of your benefits.

Appeal against a backdating decision

The maximum period that a Housing Benefit claim can be backdated is effective from the date the request is made. This is one month for anyone of working age and three months for anyone of State Pension Credit age.