Applying for a temporary event notice
This is not a licence.
Applying for a temporary event notice (TEN) means you tell us and the police before you:
- hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at an unlicensed premises
- hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at at licensed premises, if the event is not covered by the Premises Licence/Club Premises Certificate
You will have to fulfil certain conditions. There are a maximum number of events you can stage at one place.
Licensable activity includes:
- selling alcohol
- serving alcohol to members of a private club
- providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
- serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
You will also need a TEN if a licensable activity is not included in the terms of your licence (eg holding a wedding reception at a community centre).
How to apply
Return the form with your licence fee of £21 to the licensing group. (Cheques made payable to SLDC).
You should also send a copy to the police:
Kendal Police Station
You should also send a copy to:
Environmental Protection Group
South Lakeland House
Your event must:
- have less than 500 people at any one time, including staff running the event
- last no more than 168 hours or seven days
You must be at least 18 to apply.
You will need a TEN for each event you hold at the same place.
A ‘premises user’ may give a TEN 50 times a year for a personal licence holder and five times per year for a non personal licence holder.
A TEN may be given in respect of any particular premises 15 times in a calendar year. This is subject to a maximum aggregate duration of 21 days of the periods covered by TENs at any one place.
TEN guidelines and late TENs
For more details and guidelines on late TENs see our temporary event notice guidelines (PDF/181KB/4 pages).
Our street parties guide (PDF/2MB/6 pages) has practical advice for holding a street party.
A TEN application to hold a street party should be made at least eight weeks before the proposed date of the party.
Applications received later might not be processed in time for you to finalise the arrangements.
To apply for a road closure fill in our temporary road closure order application form (DOC/58KB/2 pages)
Return the application form to our legal department.