Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Applying for a temporary event notice

This is not a licence. 

Applying for a temporary event notice (TEN) means you tell us and the police before you:

  • hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at an unlicensed premises
  • hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at at licensed premises, if the event is not covered by the Premises Licence/Club Premises Certificate

You will have to fulfil certain conditions. There are a maximum number of events you can stage at one place.  

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You will also need a TEN if a licensable activity is not included in the terms of your licence (eg holding a wedding reception at a community centre).

How to apply

Fill in a temporary event notice application form (DOC/51KB/13 pages)

Return the form with your licence fee of £21 to the licensing group. (Cheques made payable to SLDC).

You should also send a copy to the police:

Cumbria Constabulary
Kendal Police Station
Busher Walk

You should also send a copy to:

Environmental Protection Group
Neighbourhood Services
South Lakeland House
Lowther Street
LA9 4UP 



Your event must:

  • have less than 500 people at any one time, including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours or seven days

You must be at least 18 to apply.

You will need a TEN for each event you hold at the same place.

A ‘premises user’ may give a TEN 50 times a year for a personal licence holder and five times per year for a non personal licence holder.

A TEN may be given in respect of any particular premises 15 times in a calendar year. This is subject to a maximum aggregate duration of 21 days of the periods covered by TENs at any one place.

TEN guidelines and late TENs

For more details and guidelines on late TENs see our temporary event notice guidelines (PDF/181KB/4 pages).

Street parties

Our street parties guide (PDF/2MB/6 pages) has practical advice for holding a street party.

A TEN application to hold a street party should be made at least eight weeks before the proposed date of the party.

Applications received later might not be processed in time for you to finalise the arrangements.

Road closures

To apply for a road closure fill in our temporary road closure order application form (DOC/58KB/2 pages)

Return the application form to our legal department.