Pay Apply Report

Temporary event notice (TEN)

This is not a licence. 

You will be required to apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) if you plan to:

  • hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at an unlicensed premises
  • hold a one off event and carry out a 'licensable activity' at a licensed premises, if the event is not covered by the Premises Licence/Club Premises Certificate
  • if a licensable activity is not included in the terms of your licence (eg holding a wedding reception at a community centre)

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

How to apply

You will need to fill in a temporary event notice application form (DOC 51KB / 13 pages).

Return the form to:

Licensing Team 
South Lakeland House
Lowther Street
LA9 4UP 

The fee is £21.00, please contact the Licensing Team on 01539 793 405 to make your card payment.

You should also send a copy to the police:

Cumbria Constabulary
Kendal Police Station
Busher Walk

You should also send a copy to:

Environmental Protection Group
Neighbourhood Services
South Lakeland House
Lowther Street
LA9 4UP 

TENs must be received by both the Licensing Authority, Environmental Health and the Police at least 10 clear working days before the event is to take place (unless a Late Notice is issued). This does not include the day it is received by the Licensing Authority, the day of the event, weekends or Bank Holidays.


Your event must:

  • have less than 500 people at any one time, including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours or seven days

You must be at least 18 to apply.

You will need a TEN for each event you hold at the same place.

If you are a Personal Licence holder, you can submit up to 50 TEN applications and up to 10 Late TEN applications per calendar year. 

If you are not a Personal Licence holder, you can submit up to five TEN applications and up to two Late TEN applications per calendar year.

Only 15 TENs can be issued for any premises in any calendar year, with the total number of TENs not exceeding 21 days.

There must be at least 24 hours between events for TENs issued by the same person at a premises.

Refused applications  

The Police and our Environmental Health Officers have three working days in which to object to your application on the grounds of any of the four licensing objectives:

  • The Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • The Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • The Protection of Children from Harm  

The Licensing Authority can object to your application on the grounds that the number of TENs issued in any year for the premises or by the person has been exceeded.

If you do not have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to six months, or both.

TEN guidelines and late TENs

For more details and guidelines on late TENs see our temporary event notice guidelines (PDF 37KB / 4 pages).

Street parties

A TEN application to hold a street party should be made at least eight weeks before the proposed date of the party.

Applications received later might not be processed in time for you to finalise the arrangements.

Guide to organising a street party

Road closures

To apply for a road closure fill in our temporary road closure order application form (DOC 58KB / 2 pages).

Return the application form to our legal department.

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback