Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Boarding animals

You cannot run an animal boarding establishment (catteries and kennels) without getting a licence from us.

How to apply

If you would like to apply for a licence, please fill in an animal boarding licence application form (PDF/83KB/2 pages).

Animal boarding licensing fee (DOC/23KB/3 pages) cheques to be made payable to SLDC.

Once you have filled in the form, return it, any other relevant documents and the licence fee to the licensing group.


You cannot get a licence if you are disqualified under any of the following acts:

  • The Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963
  • The Pet Animals Act 1951
  • The Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • The Protection of Animals (Cruelty to Dogs) (Scotland) Act 1934 

Before being granted a licence you must meet our:

A licence may also contain special conditions that only apply to your premises.


A licence will expire on the 31 December of the year to which it relates and must be renewed before then if the premises are to continue as an animal boarding establishment.

Your right of appeal

You can appeal to the Magistrates' Court if you disagree with our decision to not to give you a licence or the conditions of the licence. The court will make a decision on your appeal.

Offences and penalties

  • if you are found guilty of keeping an animal boarding establishment without a licence, or without meeting the licence conditions, you may be fined up to £500, given three months in prison, or both 
  • if you are found guilty of obstructing or delaying an authorised licensing officer, or authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner in the exercising of their powers of entry you may be fined up to £500

If you are found guilty your licence may be cancelled and you could be disqualified from keeping an animal boarding establishment for as long as the court thinks fit.

The Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 can be viewed at South Lakeland House.