Applying for a premises licence
If you would like to apply for a premises licence:
1) Fill in the premises licence application form (PDF/370KB/18 pages) (to vary your premises licence/transfer a licence you can find your application form on the Licensing Act application form page)
2) You will need to show how you will be operating the premises and what you will do to promote the four licensing objectives.
3) You will need to submit a scaled plan of your premises. You can view our guidelines on the submission of a premises licence plan (PDF/17KB/1 page).
4) You will also need to fill in a consent form confirming the consent of an individual to being specified as a premises supervisor (PDF/20KB/1 page) or (in word format) consent of an individual to being specified as a premises supervisor (DOC/32KB/1 page). Every premises that sells or supplies alcohol (except for qualifying clubs) must have a designated premises supervisor who is responsible its day to day running. This person must also have a personal licence authorising the sale of alcohol.
5) You should also include a fee. The government sets this fee which is based on the non domestic rateable value of your premises. You can find this out by looking at your annual bill.
6) The documents and the fee should be returned to the licensing group.
7) When making an application for grant/variation, you should send a copy to the responsible authorities (DOC/243KB/2 pages).
8) You must display a notice of the application on your premises for a period of 28 consecutive days. You may want to refer to our guidance on arrangements for advertising notices of application (PDF/12KB/1 page).
Here are the notices for you to choose the correct one and fill in and print on blue paper: Notice of an application for a grant to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF/14KB/1 page)
This notice must be printed on white paper: Notice of application for minor variation (PDF/23KB/1 page)
9) You must also put a notice in the local newspaper using this template for completing your newspaper notice (PDF/15KB/1 page)
Additional information and guidance notes
A premises licence is not time limited.
It is in effect until it is:
- Guidance in respect of fees (PDF/27KB/1 page)
- Sample conditions for premises and club premises certificates (PDF/86KB/3 pages)
- Guidance for premises licences (PDF/44KB/2 pages)
- Guidance for take away and late night refreshment premises (PDF/36KB/3 pages)
- Guidance for designated premises supervisors (PDF/20KB/1 page)
- Guidance on regulated entertainment and exemptions (PDF/114KB/2 pages)
- Guidance to applicants in respect of village halls (PDF/34KB/2 pages)
Weekly list of premises licence applications
We have a weekly list of premises licence applications.
Interested parties (eg local residents, residents' associations, parish/town councils etc) can make representations on applications.
They must be made within 28 days of the date the notice of application is displayed.
In order to be relevant, the representation must relate to one or more of the following:
- the prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- the prevention of public nuisance
- the protection of children from harm
Where an application is made for variation, the weekly list will include a brief summary of the main particulars of the variation.
Please contact the licensing group with any questions.
The weekly list is available by email on request.