Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Applying for a premises licence

If you would like to apply for a premises licence fill in the premises licence application form (DOC/80KB/24 pages).

If you wish to vary your premises licence or transfer the licence you will need to complete the relevant Licensing Act application form.

You will need to show how you will be operating the premises and what you will do to promote the four licensing objectives.

A scaled plan of your premises will need to be submitted along with your application, you can view our guidelines on the submission of a premises licence plan (PDF/27KB/1 page).

Every premises that sells or supplies alcohol (except for qualifying clubs) must have a designated premises supervisor who is responsible for its day to day running, this person must hold a personal licence authorising the sale of alcohol, you are required to fill in a consent form confirming the consent of an individual to being specified as a premises supervisor (DOC/40KB/2 pages).

A fee should be sent with your application, the government sets these fees based on the non domestic rateable value of your premises. You can find this out by looking at your annual bill or by contacting Business Rates.

Your application, fee and any other relevant documents should be returned to the licensing group.

When making an application for grant/variation, you should send a copy to the responsible authorities (PDF/157KB/2 pages).

This now includes sending a copy of the application form to the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement) Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY or alternatively email:

Notice of an application

You must display a notice of the application on your premises for a period of 28 consecutive days. You may want to refer to our guidance on arrangements for advertising notices of application (PDF/25KB/1 page).

Here are the notices for you to choose the correct one and fill in and print on blue paper:

Notice of an application for a grant to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF/14KB/1 page)

Notice of an application for a variation to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF/25KB/1 page)

Notice of an application for a late night refreshment/food takeaway premises licence (PDF/21KB/1 page)

This notice must be printed on white paper: Notice of application for minor variation to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF/23KB/1 page)

You are also required to put a notice in the local newspaper, template for completing your newspaper notice (PDF/22KB/2 pages)

Additional information and guidance notes

A premises licence is not time limited.

It is in effect until it is:

  • revoked
  • suspended
  • surrendered


Interested parties (eg local residents, residents' associations, parish/town councils etc) can make representations on applications.

They must be made within 28 days of the date the notice of application is displayed.

In order to be relevant, the representation must relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives listed below:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Guidance document for interested parties regarding relevant representations (PDF/46KB/2 pages)

Where an application is made for grant or variation of a premises licence a summary can be found on the public notice applications.