Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

What is a personal licence?

A personal licence allows a person to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. 

All premises with a premises licence will need at least one personal licence holder if they sell or supply alcohol. One of them must be named on the premises licence as the designated premises supervisor.

The licence is portable throughout England and Wales.

What is a designated premises supervisor?

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person named on the premises licence (not necessarily the applicant) who is responsible for running that premise. They must hold a personal licence.

Guidance for designated premises supervisors (PDF/20KB/2 pages)

Who can apply?

A personal licence holder must be:

How to apply?

If you would like to apply for a personal licence, you should:

1) Fill in a personal licence application form (DOC/49KB/6 pages) (If you would like to renew a personal licence or change a name and/or address you can find these forms on the Licensing Act applications form page).

2) You should enclose two photographs of yourself. One should be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or a notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

3) Please enclose any licensing qualification or proof that you are a person of prescribed description.

4) Please fill in the disclosure of convictions and declaration form (DOC/23KB/4 pages).

5) Also enclose a criminal conviction certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Identification Service.

6)  You will also need to include a fee of £37.

You will need to send the application form, all relevant documents and the fee to the Licensing Group. Also, a copy of the application form and relevant documents to the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement) Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY or alternatively via email to

You do not have to renew a personal licence that expires on or after 1 April 2015.

Guidance notes

These guidance notes will provide you with more information: