Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

How to apply for a personal licence

A personal licence allows a person to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. 

All premises that sell or supply alcohol will need at least one personal licence holder to be named on the premises licence as a designated premises supervisor (DPS). A DPS is the person named on the premises licence (not necessarily the applicant) who is responsible for the day to day running of the premises.

Guidance for designated premises supervisors (PDF 26KB / 2 pages)

The licence is portable throughout England and Wales.

Who can apply

A personal licence holder must be:

How to apply

If you would like to apply for a personal licence, you should fill in a personal licence application form (DOC 49KB / 6 pages).

The second part of the application that needs completing is the disclosure of convictions and declaration form (DOC 23KB / 4 pages).

You should enclose two passport photos of yourself. One should be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or a notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

A personal licence qualification certificate should be enclosed with your application.

Along with your application, you are required to apply for a basic disclosure certificate. This should be dated within one month of us receiving your application.

You will need to send the application form, all relevant documents and the fee of £37 to the Licensing Group. Also, a copy of the application form and relevant documents to the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement) Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY or alternatively email:

You do not have to renew a personal licence that expires on or after 1 April 2015.

Current personal licence holders that wish to make a change to their licence should complete a change of name and/or address of personal licence holder form (DOC 311KB / 1 page)

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Please rate this page