Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support grants
Financial support for certain businesses was announced by the Chancellor on March 17, 2020. Not all businesses will be eligible for this financial support.
You can check if you are eligible for a grant, find out what types of grant are available, apply for a grant and find out about how your application will be processed.
Check if you're eligible for a grant
You can apply for a grant if you receive business rate relief and meet the criteria set out below.
Cash grant for retail, hospitality and leisure
- to support those businesses in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector
- a one-off cash grant of £25,000 to eligible businesses with rateable values between £15,001 and £50,999
- a one-off cash grant of £10,000 to eligible businesses with rateable values up to and including £15,000
- eligible businesses will receive one grant per business property
Small business grant funding
- to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBRR), rural rate relief (RRR) and tapered relief
- a one-off £10,000 grant will be available for businesses who qualify for Small Business Rate Relief or Rural Rate Relief to help meet their ongoing business costs. The maximum rateable value limit is £15,000
Apply for a grant
IMPORTANT NOTE: We need you to provide your 8-digit reference number from your business rates bill to complete your grant application.
Please ensure you have your reference number to hand. Your reference number begins with 5 and appears on any of your rates bills, you do not need your most recent bill.
This is an important security measure to protect the applicant against the risk of fraud and to ensure that we can validate the recipient’s identity and entitlement to the grant.
For security reasons we are not able to give this information out over the phone, but can issue a duplicate bill to your registered business address if required.
Whether you are applying for a 'Cash grant for retail hospitality and leisure' or 'Small business grant funding' you use the same form.
How your application is processed
We hope to receive an initial sum of funding from government on or around March 27, 2020.
- if we have received your completed form, and we have been able to verify that the form has been submitted by the person who according to our records is the ratepayer in respect of the business property on March 11, 2020, we will be able to process your grant payment
- we will check if you are eligible for a payment against the criteria laid out by government
- we aim to start making grant payments to eligible verified businesses, from week starting Monday 30 March, 2020
- you will receive a confirmation e-mail
Completing the online form does not mean a business is eligible for the grants available.
Please allow us time to complete the verification process.
We understand that this is a difficult time and we are doing everything we can to get the payments to you as soon as we can.