Pay Apply Report

Businesses preparing for Brexit

The UK is scheduled to leave the EU. Your business needs to prepare for this, and a number of resources are available to help.

Central Government

GOV.UK: Brexit provides advice for individuals, businesses, UK nationals in the EU and EU nationals in the UK.

Answer seven simple questions to about your business to get the most relevant Brexit advice for your business.

Exporting and doing business abroad

Importing goods from overseas

Business continuity

Cumbria County Council: Business continuity and Resilience

Pass information onto employees about staying in the UK after Brexit if you have EU Citizens working in your organisation.

EU Settlement Scheme: employer's toolkit

Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

The FSB offers members a wide range of vital business services including advice, financial services, support and a voice in government, to help small businesses achieve their ambitions. The FSB have prepared a number of resources for small businesses:

Small Business Brexit Pack

Countdown to Brexit, Business Continuity Planning, Withdrawal Act 2018

What action FSB has taken for small businesses throughout Brexit negotiations

National Farmers' Union (NFU)

Navigating Brexit for British Farmers

NFU planning for a No Deal Brexit

Members can sign up to the NFU Brexit Newsletter.

Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

DEFRA has released guidance on:

Cumbria Chamber of Commerce

The Cumbria Chamber of Commerce are preparing a series of resources in consultation with Cumbrian businesses. 

Cumbria Chamber of Commerce Brexit updates

The Confederation of British Industry (CBI)

The CBI has prepared a number of useful resources around Brexit, including sector by sector analysis, business reports and insights.

CBI Brexit and EU negotiations

Other resources

For the latest information about the EU Exit, register for HM Revenue & Customs update service.

BBC News: Brexit jargon-busting guide

Please make sure you have the correct documentation to keep working in the UK following EU Exit.

Be aware of your Consumer Rights after Brexit.

EU Exit Public Information Campaign: Local Authorities Toolkit (PDF 1MB /12 pages)

Key contacts

Should you have any concerns that you think we may be able to better assist with, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Economic Development team. Contact details are listed below.

Residents: Continue to live in the UK after Brexit

If you’re from the EU and living in the UK, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after Brexit.

You can apply now or you can wait until 30 March 2019 when there will be more ways to apply.

The deadline for applications will be 30 June 2021. However, this will change to 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Check if you can apply, when to apply and how to apply by following the step by step EU Settlement Scheme guidance

Further information is available from the Citizen Advice Bureau: staying in the UK after Brexit

If you wish to speak or meet with someone to talk about this you can contact one of the following South Lakes Citizens Advice offices:

Citizens Advice Windermere contact details

Citizens Advice Kendal contact details

Citizens Advice Ulverston contact details 

Useful links:

Going and being abroad: EU Exit guidance

Staying in the UK as an EU Citizen

UK Nationals living in the EU

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback