Recycling, garden and general waste bins

 You can help us make sure we deal with your household waste as quickly and effectively as possible, by checking:

Find your bin collection day
Find out what goes in your bins and boxes

What to do on bin collection day

Collections are from 7am to 3pm.

  • please make sure we can get to your bins safely
  • have bins or boxes ready for collection by 7am
  • only put your bins and boxes out the evening before collection
  • collections are usually made at the boundary of your property. If you live at the end of a long private drive or lane please leave your bin near the highway please make sure your bins are not causing an obstruction
  • collect your bins or boxes as soon as possible after emptying

Missed collections

Our crews could collect your bins up until 3pm on collection day. If your bin still hasn't been collected after 3pm you can report a missed collection. We aim to collect a missed bin within two working days of receiving your report.

We will not return for grey bins or waste bags that are not left for collection.

Where we have been unable to collect due to obstructions, like parked cars or road closures, we will try again later.

If you do not present your waste or recycling you can:

Report a missed collection

If you have any questions please contact us.

Request new and extra bins, recycling bags and boxes

You can request a replacement 240 litre grey waste bin if it is lost or damaged.

You can request extra or replacement blue 44 litre recycling boxes or blue recycling bags. We collect paper and card and glass in the recycling boxes. You can request one box for each material.

Our recycling vehicles normally carry a stock of recycling boxes, lids and recycling bags. The crew will be happy to provide replacement or additional items on request.

Extra bags can be collected from;

  • South Lakeland House in Kendal
  • the car park at the Westmorland Shopping Centre in Kendal
  • the Coronation Hall in Ulverston
  • the Information Centre at the Victoria Hall in Grange-over-Sands.
  • the Lake Wardens Office at Ferry Nab in Windermere
  • the Victory Hall at Broughton-in-Furness
  • Finsthwaite Village Hall

If you have larger amounts of green garden waste you could order a compost bin for your garden. You can also take green waste to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.

You can request an additional green bin using our Request bins or recycling boxes form. This service is only for domestic customers and dependent on the stock of bins we have available. The service is free. 

Apply for bins or recycling boxes 

Using recycling bins, bags and boxes

  • wrap your waste to keep your grey bin clean
  • we will also collect one standard bin bag of waste with a wheelie bin
  • we will not collect bins that are overloaded by weight or volume
  • squash plastic bottles and flatten cardboard to reduce the space taken in your bins
  • rinse plastics, bottles and cans
  • use your bins, bags and boxes only for the items we will collect. We can't empty bins that have the wrong things in them. Find out what goes in your bins, bags and boxes
  • remember additional space will be required around the bin or box for opening and to allow them to be removed
  • in windy weather please ensure your bags and boxes are weighted or secured
  • the bins and boxes are the property of South Lakeland District Council. You may personalise them for your property, provided it remains clear which waste or recycling materials they contain
  • when residents move home they must leave all containers at the new property ready for the new occupant to use
  • residents are responsible for the storage, safe keeping and cleaning of the containers

Reducing your waste

If you have larger amounts of waste that cannot be recycled you may be able to reduce your waste in other ways.

Love Food Hate Waste offer advice on how to cut down on food waste and reduce your food bill.

You could also order a food waste digester at a discounted price to reduce food waste.

If you need extra recycling boxes or bags we can provide those for you. If you are recycling as much as possible and have six or more people in the house you may apply for a larger waste bin.

Please use the application form and provide the reasons for your request.

The entitlement to a larger bin is reviewed on an annual basis, and if circumstances change the extra capacity may be withdrawn.

When making a request please provide any information that may help us to help you reduce and manage your waste.

Assisted collections

If you can't take your bins or boxes to the collection point due to ill health, infirmity or disability you can request an assisted collection service:

  • the service is not available if there are any adults over the age of 18 at the address that can put the bins out
  • each application is considered on its merits and collections are subject to a bi-annual review
  • if there is a change in circumstances you must inform us as soon as possible

Apply for an assisted collection

Age UK offer help and advice for anyone aged 50 or above, or their carers, telephone 030 300 30003.

Waste collection services to charities and community organisations

Places of worship will be provided with the same service as households. There is no collection charge.

All other charities are classed as trade waste.

Unwanted bins or boxes 

Request removal of unwanted bins and boxes 

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback