Apply for a new bin
Last Updated: 16 September 2021
If you live in a residential property and your bin, bags and boxes are lost or damaged you can order a replacement.
- grey bin (standard 240 litre size)
- green bin (maximum of 2 green bins per property)
- blue box (request extra or replacement 44 litre recycling boxes. We collect paper, card and glass in the recycling boxes. You can request one box for each material)
- box lid
- blue bag
- black bag (only for properties on the black bag collection list)
How to apply for a new bin
Before you start the form tell us if you want us to take away your old equipment.
If you are requesting the exchange or removal of a bin or box please ensure the old item is accessible for our staff to collect.
Please be aware that deliveries may take up to six weeks as staff focus on priority services such as waste collections. Further information about key waste and recycling services are outlined in the green waste collection disruption warning.
If you are able to access the following locations; Ferry Nab Bowness or the Multi Storey Carpark in Kendal you can collect bins, boxes and bags.
If you only require boxes or bags you can collect them from our reception area in Kendal Town Hall, 9.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
Large grey bin
If you have six or more people living in your house you may request a large grey bin. We will ask to see proof of:
- number of adults in house from utility bill showing all adults
- number of children, either:
- school/nursery correspondence
- housing benefit letter stating dependents and non-dependants at the address
Before you start the form you must be sure that you are not putting the following items in your grey bin:
- plastic bottles, tubs, pots and trays
Our recycling vehicles normally carry a stock of recycling boxes, lids and recycling bags. The crew will be happy to provide replacement or additional items on request.
Extra bags, boxes and lids can be collected from:
- Our reception area in Kendal Town Hall between 9.30am and 4pm
- the car park at the Westmorland Shopping Centre in Kendal
- the Information Centre at the Victoria Hall in Grange-over-Sands
- the Lake Wardens Office in Ferry Nab in Windermere
- the Victory Hall at Broughton-in-Furness (bags only)
- Finsthwaite Village Hall (bags only)
If you have larger amounts of green garden waste you could order a compost bin for your garden. You can also take green waste to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.