Design and Access Statement
What is a Design and Access Statement?
A design and access statement is a written report to support a
planning application or application for
listed building consent. It explains and justifies the proposal in
a structured way and illustrates the
process that has led to particular design choices being
When is a Design and Access Statement required?
All planning applications must be submitted with a
design and access statement unless they fall
into the following categories:
- Householder applications excluding listed buildings, land or
buildings within conservation
areas or land or buildings within an area of outstanding natural
- Applications not involving the erection of any buildings (ie a
material change of use of land or
- Applications only involving engineering or mining
- Advertisement applications
- Hazardous substance applications.