If you wish to hire out or take charge of commercial vessels carrying 12 or fewer passengers you must be a licensed boatman.
You would need a restricted licence to hire out vessels. It does not include using pleasure craft for passengers. To qualify you must:
- be over 18
- demonstrate a knowledge of your company's codes of safe working practice and emergency procedures
- have a full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulations and byelaws for the waters where the licence is required
- not have any disease or physical disability which could affect your ability to help hiring the vessel/s
If you want to hire out or take charge of pleasure vessels used for passengers you will require a full licence. In addition to the requirements outlined above you would also need to:
- complete a declaration about your fitness
- satisfactorily complete a practical boat handling assessment
Licences last a year. They are not transferable and cannot be backdated.
We may suspend or revoke a licence at any time in the interests of the public.
You can get application forms and advice from the lake wardens' office.