2 responses from Mr John Malcolm Denman, James Cropper PLC
1. Mr John Malcolm Denman, James Cropper PLC : 16 Jun 2008 12:49:00
A typed or handwritten document was submitted. This has been scanned and can be downloaded below:
To which part of the Report does your representation relate?
Paragraph or Section
The Preferred Option - PO11 - Kendal Functional Area
Please write your comment or explain your reasons for supporting or opposing this part of the Report. You may also wish to refer to the tests of soundess in the glossary of the Preferred Options document before making your comments.
following an e mail received on the 2nd June please see comments below with ref to land at Burneside and section 1.3 of attached letter.
I would be delighted if you would amend my comments to indicate that Council should include the land within the development boundary for Burneside and safeguard it for the expansion of James Cropper plc.
2. Mr John Malcolm Denman, James Cropper PLC : 7 Jul 2008 15:59:00
. I am supportive of your proposal to develop the field opposite
Burneside Hall for housing.
2. The allocation of this field to housing does, however, need to be
discussed with James Cropper plc as we have always earmarked it previously
for the expansion of the mill if this was required (subject to planning
3. You have examined other options for Burneside. In nearly all the
cases, the Ellergreen Estate (which is held in trust for me) owns the
relevant land. I would like to discuss the potential at these sites with
you in more detail after 30 May, preferably on site. I believe that in
some cases issues such as restricted access may be solvable, so there may
yet be potential.
4. As landlords my father and I are committed to the provision of high
quality affordable housing for rental to local occupants in the Burneside
area. We would welcome an opportunity to provide more housing of this
type, and propose the following sites:
- field at Bowston (circled in attached) - the attraction of this is that
it is adjacent to the existing community and would barely be visible from
- Bowston farm outbuildings (we are in the process of applying for
conversion to holiday let for these though would prefer to convert to
affordable housing for rental)
- field at Gilthroten, Cowan Head
- old workshop site at Ellergreen (adjacent to 14 units but dismissed by
SLDC when consulted in past as not being a 'sustainable' location)
I am preparing plans of these sites to send you.