Ulverston Street Market
Snug under the Hoad Monument (a replica of Eddystone
Lighthouse) Ulverston is a fine example of an archetypal northern
English market town, and its street markets, the largest in South
Lakeland, reflect the popularity engendered over the years. It is a
town of character - both in buildings and people - with a cobbled
market street at the heart.
Originally granted its market charter in 1280, Ulverston was a
quiet market town until its expansion following the construction of
the canal to the sea, which opened in 1796.
Sadly, the growth of
Barrow-in-Furness as a port and industrial, shipbuilding town
eclipsed Ulverston's progress in the later 19th century, but not
before Ulverston was blessed with some of the finest architecture
town is well worth visiting for this interesting architecture
alone, but there is plenty going on around those buildings.
Recently, the town has become dubbed
as a "Festival Town", and regularly hums to crowds of visitors to
the "Flag Festival" in spring and "Lantern Procession" in
September. Its' market hall on New Market Street opens Monday
to Saturday (not Wednesdays) and is well worth visiting for its
wide range of products.
There is also a café serving hot and cold
snacks. The outdoor markets are on Thursdays
and Saturdays when the town really comes to life.
The street market has a wide variety of
interesting stalls spreading round the cobbled streets towards
the Market Cross. The improvements carried out to the town
centre in 1997 included the creation of a raised area by the Market
Cross which is used throughout the year for special events and
Pay the Markets and Market Hall a visit, there's a warm
Traders can generally be contacted by telephoning the Market
Office on 01229 582183