Bowness on Windermere Cemetery
Glebe Road, Bowness on Windermere, Cumbria
This rural cemetery, overlooking Lake Windermere, opened in 1856
and the first burial took place on September 9th. It was extended
in the 1940's and the new section contains sections designated for
There is also a section specifically allocated for the
burial of cremated ashes. The cemetery chapel (with an harmonium)
will seat sixty mourners comfortably.
Reserved parking for cemetery visitors (6 cars) is available in
the lay-by on Rectory Road, which forms the western
boundary of the cemetery, and restricted parking is available
on Glebe Road. Pay and Display car parks are available nearby.The
former cemetery lodge is now a private dwelling, and it would be
appreciated if the residents are not disturbed.
There is no permanent staff presence in
this cemetery, which is administered from Kendal where
all the cemetery records are kept. It is a comparatively
large cemetery, and intending visitors are advised to check grave
location details with the office before travelling to the
View of Bowness Cemetery from Rectory Road
towards the East.
South Lakeland House,
20-26 Lowther Street,
Fax (01539) 797599